Wednesday, September 21, 2011

sac + cha + rine = musically speaking





sac·cha·rine

  [sak-er-in, -uh-reen, -uh-rahyn]  Show IPA
adjective
1.
of the nature of or resembling that of sugar: a powderysubstance with a saccharine taste.
2.
containing or yielding sugar.
3.
very sweet to the taste; sugary: a saccharine dessert.
4.
cloyingly agreeable or ingratiating: a saccharinepersonality.
5.
exaggeratedly sweet or sentimental: a saccharine smile; asaccharine song of undying love.


Since I am currently exploring the word saccharine within a context that I can relate too, I decided that I might as well add some music that demonstrates "saccharine" qualities. I recently found that Refinery29 has loads of examples of saccharine-ish things, especially music. 


I found Pandr Eyez on Refinery29 the other day and found their description of because "Bird Song" as having a "minimal bongo beat and saccharine synths" quite intriguing. Let me know if you think the bongos are minimal enough, and if the synth really is saccharine...


z



Yet another example of how much Refinery29 loves all things saccharine, is the fact that they did another post on a band that I like AND which apparently demonstrates saccharine qualities. 


Refinery29 hit the saccharine nail on the head by describing Bodies of Water's song "Open Rythms" as having "lilting guitar and saccharine strings". 

                   


I think I put enough sweetener in this blog post for a Starbucks latte, so have a good night.. day.. morning.. Whatever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment